27 February 2009

To Love...

I preach love and kindness, a compassionate heart and willing hands.  My mouth and pen declares a character I find my hands often do not commend.  Everyday I am faced with the realities of sin, I see how people tear each other down, seeking their own well being.  I open my eyes to depravity and a lust for what this world has labeled life.  An empty smile, a self-seeking gesture, ulterior motives, a bitter stance, a jealous heart, a condescending glance.  Although I am mortified and ashamed of what I see the christian faith portray, I am even more distressed that everyday I am met with my reflection.  I attempt to justify my harsh words and loose tongue with the wrongs of those whose names are on my lips.  Often I am angered by selfishness of another, and realize by doing so I am no better.  It is in the moments when I find others in need, that my heart can turn suddenly hard, angered at times, that my will has not been heed.  It is also in those same moments that I hear the faint whisper, "love is patient, it is kind..."  or when I feel justice has not been done, and anger grows, the gentle voice persists, "it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no records of wrong..." Daily I struggle to live as I have claimed.  Daily I struggle to follow my convictions.  But though I fail, God prevails.  Despite my futility, God works His will.  His power is beyond my humanity.  So I will not rest upon my own strength or manner.  But instead daily I will trust the Spirit working in me, daily I will submit to my Heavenly Father who is changing me.  I cannot truly love as I am called, as Christ has loved, on my own.

No comments:



"For Attractive lips, speak words of kindness, For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people, For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry, For Beautiful hair, let a child run their fingers through it once a day, For poise, walk with the knowledge that you never walk alone. People, more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed. Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, you will find one at the end of each of your arms. As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands, one for helping yourself and the other for helping others." 
— Audrey Hepburn

Followers